By: Kim Miller, President
Despite the postponement of Forum and the changes in our world that seem to be happening from hour to hour, the process of discernment of new leaders for MCCW’s Worldwide board will continue, but on a delayed schedule.
Our currently sitting board has agreed to stay in their roles through the rescheduled Forum in order to provide continuity. New dates for the discernment process will be announced as more information about Forum is available.
In the meantime, however, we encourage you to continue the process of personal discernment and be open to the ways in which God is calling you to serve.
Over the past few months, MCCW has shared information about the positions, job descriptions, and skills needed to fill those roles. Our Forum Director has shared reflections about the discernment process itself, and the women currently serving on the Worldwide Board have shared their experiences in those roles.
We hope that through this some of you have felt the nudge from God to consider whether this is your time to serve.
Even before the postponement of Forum, the MCCW board recognized the changing needs of MCCW and voted to make some small changes to discernment this year. We want you to know about those changes. First some nuts and bolts details:
- The positions that will be open for discernment include President, Director of Forum, Director of Finance, Director of Communications, and one Director-At-Large as well as a new position: the Director of Stewardship. To read the job descriptions for each position, visit www.MCCW.org/discernment.
- The new Director of Stewardship position will oversee the many gifts of time, talent, and treasure entrusted to MCCW. She will need to have a strong background in fundraising and grant writing. To learn more, visit www.MCCW.org/discernment.
- In order to move forward with MCCW’s stewardship goals, this position will be appointed as soon as a called, committed, and competent woman comes forward. If you are interested in learning more about this role or filling this role, please contact Kim Miller at 575-914-1661 or by email at email@example.com.
- Each person who discerns a role on the Worldwide Board is asked to serve from the time of her discernment through Forum 2022, except the Director of Stewardship, who will serve through April 2021.
- Some travel is required for Worldwide Board members – at a minimum, you will be expected to attend an in-person board meeting once a year and to attend Forum 2022. MCCW is able to subsidize costs for travel and lodging for these events.
- The positions of President and Director of Forum will be filled through an in-person discernment process to be held at the rescheduled Forum.
- A change in the discernment process for this year will allow women who are not able to attend Forum to discern for the positions of Director of Finance, Director of Communications, and Director-At-Large virtually. This process will take place the week after the rescheduled Forum and deadlines for submitting discernment packets will be announced as more information is available.
- To find out more about discernment please reach out to our discernment coordinator, Kelly Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have felt that nudge to serve but have questions, or need guidance on how to complete a good personal discernment, reach out to Kelly. She is enormously gifted at guiding women through the discernment process.
Second, my personal appeal to each of you: Serving on the MCCW Worldwide Board these past six years has been an enormous gift to me and to my family. Each step of the way, God has equipped me with what I needed to fulfill the role He has called me to fill – be that the necessary skills, the time, or the dozens of family and friends who have helped with my children when I had to work or travel for MCCW.
If you are feeling called to serve MCCW – answer that call! Work through the personal discernment process and ask yourself the hard questions about whether this is the time and place for you to take this step. I promise you won’t regret it.